Liberalism is Semantics with Passion

Thursday, February 8, 2007

Undisputed Heavy-Weight Champion of the Centre-Rigggggght!



“He’s Mean, He’s Green and He’s gonna kick ass and take names while he’s at it!”

Well not quite, but Turner is perhaps an example of an untapped political source for the Liberals, the “moderate“, centre-right vote. In the last few years the party has drawn over the likes of former Progressive Conservatives Scott Brison, David Orchard, David Kilgour now Turner. A political migration, maybe?

But then, where are the centre-right voters going exactly? Dion has argued over and over again that the Liberal Party is the Party of the “Big Tent Centre” - which is the best course of action for the Liberal Party (In my humble opinion) - but what exactly makes the Liberals the “big Centrist” party. Ill be truthful, sitting on the centre-left of the parties political spectrum I do often look over to the right and try to get a feel for why our “friendly-rightist” feel comfortable about being Liberals. I’m sure some on the centre-right will do the same with the likes of me and ask why im comfortable with this party.

Being on the political wings of this party is an interesting position within the party - most of us enjoy the diverse opinion, but essentially what I seek to understand, is how others within the party see this notion of the big tent centrist position of the Liberal Party.

Does it even exist? Or are those of us who are “winged Liberals” just find the likes of the NDP or CPC to far off the Canadian political spectrum to be comfortable to join those particular parties.

So I extend the olive branch within my own party - perhaps a little discourse on the matter can shed light on who we are in relation to this party.

I think we might be pleasantly surprised that perhaps those of us on the wings have more in common then we have in differences.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say this as an anonymous poster simply for the fact that I do not feel comfortable posting by the name I usually post to. (And for the record I do have a blog. And I'm sure if you did the math you would find it.)

I am on the right wing of this party. I support corporate tax cuts. More funding for the military. Our forces in Afghanistan. And even restrictions on abortion.

However, I am a Liberal. I believe in universal healthcare. That the science of Kyoto is real. Twenty-five dollars per week is not a choice for child care. The GST cut makes no sense economically. And I do without question support same-sex marriage.

So, what am I? I AM a Liberal. But I will admit, I do feel uncomfortable at times in the party. Despite the Scott Brisons, Belinda Stronachs, and (now) Garth Turners, I feel exiled at times by this party. It is a party of the centre-left. However, the Conservatives are the party of the far right. For those that were Joe Clark "Progressive" Conservatives this is the only party available. I will submit that the Greens are looking more inviting daily, but this is the party I have always been a part of, and it is a party I will continue to be a part of.

I don't know about the left wing of the party, but on the right I do feel a sense disillusionment. I'd be curious to see how others feel.

KSM said...

Speaking as a centre-right Liberal, I'd say I'm a Liberal because the party is, in practice, fiscally pragmatic, and socially liberal.

We care about society, and equality of opportunity, but we also know that a balanced budget and tax reduction are often good fiscal policy.

The Liberal Party is the party for centre-right pragmatists. The Conservative Party is for the ideologically right.

That's the way I see it, anyways.

Liberal Semantics said...

Hey Anonymous,

Need not worry, if you wish to remain unknown in regards this post there will be no “thought” put into finding out your identity. Firstly I’m pleasantly surprised in some of the similarities that we share. Yes I am a proud member of the centre-left wing of the party - but im delighted to see that we in fact are quite similar. Specifically speaking on the emphasis of Social Justice. For the exception of the Corporate Tax Cuts I am in agreement with you on all your discussed topics.

Now I cant speak on behalf of the whole centre-left wing of the party, but it might surprise you that the feelings of disillusionment are felt on this side of the spectrum. I think perhaps the main characteristic we share as centre-left Liberals is “positive action” for our fellow mankind - and at times the consistency of this feeling from the party itself is at best mixed. Most centre-left liberals know that that the NDP is nothing more then a protest party whose polices are only based on “what the Liberals and Conservatives aren’t doing”. Action drives us - but we approach things with pragmatism; Unlike the NDP who simply rally the drums and scream at the top of their lungs (which in some cases can be useful - but not unless its balanced with pragmatic thought)

Economically, I have never been an advocate for “free money” for some. Rather the idea that Liberalism doesn’t just provide a social safety net, but a ladder for people to rise above poverty. So need not worry my friend, perhaps our disillusionment is shared. But what better way to move forward then honest discourse? Liberals aren’t bonded to rigid ideology, that’s what makes Liberalism so great, were able to adapt and learn - and the best way to learn is debate and discussion.

Liberal Semantics said...

Hey Taylor,

As you can tell from my prior post that I think we all share some common ground. But im curious though, you said that:

“The Liberal Party is the party for centre-right pragmatists. The Conservative Party is for the ideologically right.”

Now - would argue that the natural place of the party is the centre. But some have argued that the real “soul” of the party is that of “small C” Conservatism. But if this is so? Where does this leave those (like myself) on the left in the party? Does that mean we are essentially just bonded in coalition to this party - a party of the centre-right?

Anonymous said...

I must say that I'm quite surprised -- although comforted -- by the fact that both us have so much in common.

I am also comforted by the fact that we share such similar policy.

I guess I can see where you are coming from. But this is the reason we joined this party, isn't it? The fact is we are the big tent party. How comfortable we both are with that seems to vary at times, but it is something to generally be proud of. Our caucus chair, Ray Bonin, once said what makes our party unique is that we can have people as far left as Marxists and as far right as the old Reform sitting next to each other.

It is something we should hold with pride -- even if we do both feel alienated at times.

Liberal Semantics said...

Well being alienated is almost expected for a party that has such a large base, but i think for the most party - many understand that we only joined this party to help all Canadians - and not just our own intrests.